Webley Mark VI revolver which was manufactured by P. Webley & Son, Birmingham, England. It became their best-known model and was standard British Army issue, being officially adopted in 1915, with over 300,000 revolvers produced for service. A powerful weapon, the Webley Mark VI was used until 1932 – being distinguished from earlier Webleys with a 6 inch rather than 4 inch barrel and a square butt. The Mark VI was replaced by the Enfield No 2 revolver and was officially retired as obsolete in 1947. This particular gun was captured c. 1920 from British soldiers attending a social event at Taylor’s Hill, Galway by Irish Volunteers involved in the War of Independence (1919-1921) and ended up in the possession of Volunteer Martin Crowe of Bohermore.
Museum Reg. GCM2009:004
Photo: Colm Hogan